- 2001 – TV rodent Roland Rat claimed that Chris Tarrant had stolen his laugh, because it was similar to his ‘Hee Heeee rats fans’ catchphrase.
- 2001 – Celebrity Big Brother’ was launched in aid of Comic Relief.
- 2000 – Experts listed the top five adverts of all time. The top spot was won by the Hamlet cigar advert featuring a man having difficulties with his comb-over hairstyle.
- 2000 – It was revealed that Halle Berry was to be prosecuted for her part in a hit and run incident.
- 2000 – A list of Britain’s favorite authors was published on world book day. It was topped by Roald Dahl.
- 2004 – Bryan McFadden quit Westlife.
- 2002 – Pop Idol’ winner Will Young revealed he was gay.
- 1999 – Tom Jones collected his OBE.
- 1977 – The Sex Pistols signed a short-lived contract with A&M records outside Buckingham Palace.
- 1976 – Keith Moon collapsed at a Boston concert forcing The Who to postpone their American tour dates.
- 2004 – Jason Leonard, the most capped player in the world, announced his retirement from international rugby.
- 1996 – Will Carling announced he was resigning as England rugby captain.
- 1994 – Ray Illingworth became Chairman of England cricket selectors.
- 1946 – The barriers collapsed at the Bolton Wonderers ground during an FA Cup tie and killed 33 supporters.
- 1967 – Stalin’s daughter, Svetlana, defected to the west.
- 1961 – The Russians sent the first dog into space, Laika, into space on board Sputnik 9. She died during the mission.
- 1831 – The French Foreign Legion was founded in Algeria.
- 1796 – Napoleon Bonnaparte married Josephine de Beauharnais.
- 1074 – Pope Gregory VII ex-communicated all married priests.
- 1987 – Lil’ Bow Wow – Rapper and actor.
- 1964 – Juliette Binoche – Actress, ‘The English Patient’.
- 1958 – Martin Fry – Singer/ songwriter with ABC.
- 1952 – Bill Beaumont – Former English rugby player.
- 1943 – Bobby Fischer – American chess champion considered to be the best chess player of all time. Aged 15, he became the youngest grandmaster and the youngest candidate for the World Championship.
- 1997 – Notorious B.I.G. – Rapper, murdered in LA.
- 1997 – Terry Nation – Television Scriptwriter, who invented the Daleks for ‘Doctor Who’.
- 1996 – George Burns – American comedian.
- 1988 – Richard C. Adams – Inventor of the paint roller.